Representing the NYC's J-1c class of 4-6-4s in our NYC Collection is No. 5274, in this nicely posed view taken in the terminal at Harmon, New York. This group came from the American Locomotive Company's Schenectady plant in 1928-1929, with No. 5274 being the final member of the class. The undated photo by an anonymous lensman, which came to our collection via William D. Volkmer, was obviously taken as diesels were supplanting steam on the NYC's eastern lines in the early 1950s. Some J-1s, like this example, had their original 12-wheel tenders replaced by the 14-wheel PT tender, giving them a longer run before visiting the coaling tower. Records show that No. 5274 was retired and sold to the salvagers in 1954.