Freight service on the Peoria & Eastern was partially in the hands of a small fleet of Mikado types that augmented some class L-1 4-8-2s. No. 31, seen here at the coaling tower in Peoria, belonged to class H-5L. Engines of this class, rebuilt by American Locomotive Company in 1913-14 from class G-5 Consolidations, weighed 274,000 pounds. They had 25x32-inch cylinders, a boiler pressure of 180 pounds per square inch, and a driver diameter of 63 inches. They developed 48,570 pounds of tractive effort, and some were reported to have boosters adding another 9,900 pounds. No. 31, formerly CCC&StL (Big Four) No. 6025, was sold for scrap in 1951.